Wednesday 4 November 2015

Twelve Twenty Three

Cinematography in my latest short film “Twelve, Twenty Three.”


"The last thing I saw was my alarm clock flashing 12:23 before she pushed her long rotting nails through my chest, her other hand muffling my screams. I sat bolt upright, relieved it was only a dream, but as I saw my alarm clock read 12:22, I heard my closet door creak open."


The story for Twelve Twenty Three came from a series of two sentence horror stories posted on Buzzfeed. We decided to use this incredibly short story because it gave us an interesting narrative idea, yet it left us a lot of room to expand. To make the narrative flow better on screen, I decided to show time passing throughout the day leading up to the male character's death, and this is shown through the use of a flashback. The watch is shown in multiple shots to show how time has passed. Throughout the day he notices a few suspicious things, foreshadowing the event that the viewer already knows is coming. 

"In 'Friday the Thirteenth' and 'Halloween' the director uses a subjective camera in the stabbing scenes, which, essentially, makes the viewer the killer. The camera moves in on the screaming, pleading victim."
I took inspiration from these scenes in 'Friday the Thirteenth' and 'Halloween' for the shot of the male character in the bed when the female antagonist appears. The use of a shot from his POV as she slowly moves towards him like a shadow again subverts the horror genre gender stereotypes. 

^ click me  to watch!^





0 replies:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Emily Rose